So I've decided that the bravest thing a person can do is grow old. This past weekend we headed down to St. George to help my grandma move and attend my grandpa's viewing. When I saw my grandpa I was shocked to see how thin and frail he'd gotten. I couldn't believe it was him. I barely recognized him. He had once been a tall, strong, healthy man. I rubbed his head one more time. It felt different. More people attended the viewing than we had expected.
My grandma seems to be holding up as good as she can. She'll have brief moments of grief, but recovers quickly. She was ready to move up here. She sat in the car for probably 15 minutes before we were ready to leave! She wasn't emotional at all leaving The Meadows. Can't say that I blame her. A lot of painful memories (along with some happy ones, of course) in their little apartment. I think a fresh start will be good for her. Especially being surrounded by her family.
I told her Sunday morning that I had decided the bravest thing a person can do is to grow old. I don't know how my grandpa felt in those past few weeks. I can't imagine. His daughter said she and my grandma had to hide in the closet on his last day because they could hear him choking. I imagine he was somewhere in between this life and the next at that point. I hope he didn't feel any pain. And equally brave for my grandma to face head on losing her most loved companion. Brave.
A midst all of the fun of moving and a viewing we did get some actual fun in. Bill's parents had taken the kids with them to the cabin for the weekend. The kids were ecstatic and we were relieved not to have to entertain them during all of this! It wasn't a vacation by an means. However, we did manage to go to a movie, relax in the hot tub, go for a hike (the same one my grandpa took us on for the last time!), go out to dinner, and take grandma with us on a drive through Zion's. She was thrilled to have the chance to go one more time. She and my grandpa had camped and drove through Zion's many times so it had many lovely memories for her. It was a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon!
No comments:
Post a Comment